What equipment are you using?

0xFFFF

What equipment are you using?

Post by 0xFFFF » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:17 am

1st of all - Your site is awesome!

With help from your blog post I started decapping IC's at home.
I've put together my own PC controlled microscope and have started taking photos of my own.
Here's an early photo of my microscope...
  • Arduino UNO with CNC shield running GRBL.
  • X & Y axis are FDD steppers.
  • Z axis is 150mm linear rail with NEMA23 stepper.
  • Camera is a 5MP USB Cmos Microscope module.
  • Base plate contains a generic LCD backlight.
  • LED ring around the microscope is a 60mm car 'angel eye' COB module.
  • 2X Barlow Lens Adapter
  • 360X Microscope C-MOUNT Lens & 2.0X Barlow Objective
I'll post more photos later.

What are you guys using?

0xFFFF

Post by 0xFFFF » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:54 am

Corner of a Sony image sensor... (SONY 336LTYK ICX452AQF)

TI 27C512-2JL

Intel Pentium M Dual Core 2006 - The first IC I decapped!

EMMC (forgot the part number. I need to look it up)
I cooked part of it with my laser in an attempt to remove the packaging. Turns out it's a really bad idea.

barsmonster
Site Admin

Re: What equipment are you using?

Post by barsmonster » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:12 pm

What kind of laser have you used? I assume to burn through silicon one need ether pulse laser or some 1kW-level CW?

One can read more about my setup in the following notes (eventually I might need to expand this into an article):
https://3.14.by/en/read/microscope
First immersion lens with RMS adapter (unfortunately Russian-only): https://3.14.by/ru/read/microscope-immersion-rafcamera
https://3.14.by/en/read/samsung-amoled- ... -LUCPlanFl
https://3.14.by/en/read/microscope-olympus-0.8-50x

And finally my most recent and most expensive upgrade: https://3.14.by/en/read/water-immersion-olympus-wi
This WI lens gives much better results due to much lower defect density on images and slightly wider depth of field. Last 2 photos on the blog were using it (ESP32 and IR receiver).

My "almost" final kinda expensive lens upgrade is 50x/0.7 LCD with variable glass thickness correction - to see LCD/CD/DVD/blue-ray disks e.t.c

These last 2 were made possible by anonymous supporter, thanks! :-)

barsmonster
Site Admin

Post by barsmonster » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:14 pm

BTW huge props for microscope automation! That's the way to perfect images.
Now you can stitch large panoramas and do focus stacking automatically.... Nice :-)

0xFFFF

Post by 0xFFFF » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:31 pm

barsmonster wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:12 pm
What kind of laser have you used? I assume to burn through silicon one need ether pulse laser or some 1kW-level CW?
Actually I'm only using a 40W CO2.
Initially I was thinking that instead of using the CNC to trim down the packaging I could use my laser to quickly trim the top off. You can tell by looking at the pictures that this was a bad idea!
barsmonster wrote:One can read more about my setup in the following notes (eventually I might need to expand this into an article)...
I wasn't aware of the other site. Thanks for the links :)
Another RSS feed to follow.
barsmonster wrote:BTW huge props for microscope automation! That's the way to perfect images.
Now you can stitch large panoramas and do focus stacking automatically.... Nice :-)
It's still a work in progress. Things I'm working on:
  • Focus stacking
  • Panorama
  • Auto focus
Things I'm considering working on:
  • Replace LED ring with something that has a better color reproduction index.
  • Upgrade X/Y table (It's a bit clunky)

barsmonster
Site Admin

Post by barsmonster » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:51 pm

0xFFFF wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:31 pm
Initially I was thinking that instead of using the CNC to trim down the packaging I could use my laser to quickly trim the top off. You can tell by looking at the pictures that this was a bad idea!
That is still great approach which is used in the industry.

The trick is to set "cutting speed" as high as possible (as long as it burns plastic a little), and focus laser so that beam is expanding, not converging. I.e. focal spot should be just above surface of the chip package. This way burning process is "self-stabilizing" - the deeper it goes - the slower. Never tried it myself though - going to try impulse laser this year.
0xFFFF wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:31 pm
Replace LED ring with something that has a better color reproduction index.[/*]
Won't help. You do color correction in software anyway so different color reproduction index don't change much.
I personally not working with white light at all - It's RGB LEDs with individual current adjusted so that to inversely match camera sensor spectral sensitivity to get minimal noise (more blue, less green and red).

What would really help is to setup illumination in "metallographic way" - specimen should be illuminated through the lens, not from the sides. Light from the sides never reflects from the flat metal traces to the lens (i.e. they will always look dark). You can ether try to use 50% transparent mirror to place it under the lens at 45° and light from the side - or you need true metallographic microscope which illuminates objects through the lens form the factory.

0xFFFF

Post by 0xFFFF » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:12 am

I have not had a chance to play with the focusing yet but I will let you know how I progress.

Don't know why I was interested in color reproduction now that I think about it.
Experimenting with different light sources has been interesting though. I found that use of a laser at the appropriate angle can make a huge difference in highlighting traces.

Hagerty

Post by Hagerty » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:22 am

0xFFFF wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:12 am
I have not had a chance to play with the focusing yet but I will let you know how I progress.

Don't know why I was interested in color reproduction now that I think about it.
Experimenting with different light sources has been interesting though. I found that use of a laser at the appropriate angle can make a huge difference in highlighting traces.
Yes, using a laser is the way forward. Thanks for showing your setup.